Toots had an introductory visit to her school today. She skipped happily into the 'Butterfly Room' without even a glance back, to be greeted by her new teacher Mrs McConnell (fate?!) while I went to meet and greet the other parents and 'head teacher'.
I say 'head teacher' because I can't think of what she calls herself, but she's not a head teacher as such because it's not a school Toots is going to as such. Here most, if not all, preschool education is run by churches who have 3-year old (child must turn 3 before September 1st of that year), 4-year old and Kindergarten classes. They are all licensed by the Texas Department of Family and Protective Service and comply with State Regulations and inspection though.
Director, that's what she's called, the Crestview Baptist Church Early Childhood Centre Director.
Anyway, as I walked into the large room to meet the Director I was greeted not only by coffee, fresh orange juice and iced water, but fresh fruit salad, home made cinnamon rolls and a banana and nut loaf. Not a bad way to start the day! I don't know if there was food just because it's a church set up and that's what churches do, or if that's just the Texan way of doing things... but either way, I like it!
After hearing about the usual do's (label all your children's clothes), don't's (let them wear Crocs, sandals, thongs or flipflops: so all our summer shoes then) and what if's (a tornado is approaching), I learned that after the first day I will not even need to step out of my car to drop Toots off and pick her up each day. That's right - I merely drive by and stop at the designated circle so the director can take her out of the car before a helper escorts her to the classroom. And in reverse I pull up, for the first few weeks have Toots name on a bit of paper in the windscreen, and she will be popped back into her car seat and strapped in. "The height of laziness" immediately sprang to mind, followed only moments later by "genius". How much easier will this be than getting Tiger and Lightning in and out the car twice a day three days a week for the five minutes it takes to drop Toots off and pick her up?!
I will miss walking along High Street or up past Kellands Park though, pushing Lightning in the pram and Tiger balancing her bike beside me till we reach the school gates, all three of us wrapped up in our warm winter coats and mittens. Even in September.
No comments:
Post a Comment